Welcome To Our Department
The Research Department of Fisheries and Aquaculture established in 1995 offers four UG Programmes B.Sc. Aquaculture, B.Sc. Industrial Fisheries, B.Voc. Commercial Aquaculture and B.Voc. Fish Post Harvest Technology and Management and one PG Programme M.Sc. Applied Fisheries and Aquaculture, in addition to research leading to Ph.D. in Ocean Science and Technology. The department is striving to provide quality education at par with international standards aiming towards the wholesome development of a student at the same time committed to the society at large to popularize the concepts of Responsible Fisheries and sustainable Good Aquaculture Practices.
To transform the Department into a Knowledge Centre of International acclaim in Fisheries and Aquaculture, through conscious efforts, focusing on research and extension, adopting a multi- disciplinary and collaborative approach.
To provide Education, Research and Outreach needed by the Society for the conservation of fishery resources and ecosystem restoration.
- Commenced the first UG Programme of B.Sc. Aquaculture – 1995
- Commenced the second UG Programme B.Sc. Industrial Fish & Fisheries – 1996
- Leased a 1 acre farm at Vallarpadam – 1996
- Own farm of 1ha purchased at Chriya Kadamakudy, Pizhala, Ernakulam – 1998
- Participated in the first International Aquashow organized by the Govt. of Kerala at Trivandrum- 1998
- Organized the First All Kerala Inter Collegiate Youth Festival at St. Albert’s College associating with the Zoology Department- 2000
- Commenced the PG Programme of M.Sc. Applied Fisheries & Aquaculture – 2002
- Department started functioning in Annex Building – 2004
- First Aquaculture Department to organize Harvest Festival in Kerala – 2006
- Launched the “Conservation Research Group” CRG of Kerala – 2007
- Organized the First International Internship of the college collaborating with the University of Winsonsin- Madison, USA- 2012
- One among the first departments funded under the DBT Star College Scheme – 2012-2017
- Recognized by MGU as a Research Department – 2016
- Associated with the Albertian International Educational Expo – 2017 & 2018 by organizing the Aquashow
- Organized Knowledge Summits in the subject associating with Albertian International Knowledge Summit – 2017 & 2018
- Functioning Entrepreneurship Skill Development Centre(ESDC) since 2013
- First Department to have 100% regular staff with Ph.D.
- Dr. Bijoy V M appointed as principal of College on April 1st 2022
- B. Sc. Aquaculture
- B. Sc. Industrial Fisheries (Self Financing)
- M. Sc. Applied Fisheries and Aquaculture (Self Financing)
- B. Voc. Commercial Aquaculture (Self Financing)
- B. Voc. Fish Post Harvest Technology and Management (Self Financing)
Department at a glance
- Established in 1995
- Programmes Offered.
- Facilities – Aquaculture/Biology Lab; Microbiology/Biotechnology Lab; Museum; Instrumentation Room; Aquarium and Hatchery Complex/Entrepreneurship Skill Development Center; One Hectare Farm; Smart Class; Internet/Wifi Connectivity…
- Faculty – 15 Members; 8 Ph.D. Holders.
- MOU’s with CIFT, NIFPHATT, CIAL, MES College Ponnani, Food Safety Solutions International,…
- Collaborations with NETFish MPEDA, Scuba Kochi, InterDive, 22 Seafood Processing Plants,…
Message from HoD
The institution recognized the significance of the commencement of fisheries related courses in 1995 considering the proximity of the institution with the Vembanad Lake and the Arabian Sea and also taking into consideration the fact the that Cochin is hub of fisheries with the Head Quarters of a number of Central and State Government organizations in the propinquity and the high prevalence of aquaculture related activities in the region. With the offset of two degree programmes in concurrent years the department made a mark in the academia as the only department having two degree programmes in fisheries under Mahatma Gandhi University. Initiating the post graduate programme in 2002, the department made clear its aim in moving towards research. The department gained international acclaim in 2012 through its recognition as on among the 10 Best Colleges in the World promoting conservation research. In the same year the department showed the way to the State of Kerala in establishing world renowned technologies by introducing the concept of Aquaponics through an International Internship. The recognition of the two UG and one PG programme by the Public Service Commission of Kerala was another feather in the cap of the department. The alumnus of the department has made proud by securing positions in the academic field and other organizations in the Central, State and Private Sectors. Providing quality education to the students, the department has ensured a sustained learning outcome through the results. The department is committed to provide the best opportunities and facilities to the students through its collaborations and MOU’s with several Central Government and Private Organizations and academic institutions. The dedication and commitment of the faculty has resulted in research publications in international peer reviewed journals and guides the students towards pursuing scientific research. Research Department of Fisheries and Aquaculture is surging ahead in the path of change and innovation with its recognition as Research Center and the commencement of two new B.Voc. Programmes, taking into consideration the fact that the aquaculture and processing sector in the state is at a high pace of growth and the need to cater skilled personnel to the sector in anticipation of future developments.