Our Department came into existence in 1947, with the inception of the three-year degree course, under the able leadership of Prof.K.A. Joseph. In 1982 the Department became a Postgraduate Department as a result of the strenuous efforts put in by Prof. A. J. Benjamin, who later retired as the Principal of the College.It became a Research Centre in the year 2000, under Mahatma Gandhi University.
We introduced three-year degree course in Vocational Chemistry in 2001, in the semester pattern. The Kerala State Pollution Control Board accredited the Department laboratory as a B Grade Analytical Laboratory under the Board in 2007 and is continued to be accredited till date. The Ministry of Science and Technology, Govt. of India, has identified the department as a “FIST* aided Department” in 2008 and again in 2013. One of the beneficiary Departments of “Star College” scheme of DBT.